Saturday 11 January 2014

High Line


 
When asked what my favourite city in the world is, I say Paris. I was overwhelmed by Paris when I first visited. But let's be honest, I was overwhelmed by a lot of things in my youth. And I have been lucky enough to have the opportunity to go back several times and allow my appreciation and love for Paris to grow. It is a beautiful city.

But everyone says that New York is their favourite city. New York, Paris and Barcelona seem to fight it out in the ring of heavyweight citi-ness. But perhaps they shouldn't be fighting it out, as each city has it's own personality and winsome ways.

When I told people I was going to New York, there was a myriad of advice, such as where to get the most amazing vegan cupcakes, to absolutely shop til I dropped because it's so much cheaper and the best museums and art galleries to visit. Some advice resonated more than others.

The High Line was one of the best recommendations.

The High Line is a 1.6km linear park built on a section of the former New York Central Railroad. It is in lower west Manhattan, and has been redesigned and planted as an aerial greenway. The first section opened in 2009 and the second in 2011.

Inspired by the 4.8km promenade plantée in Paris, this elevated strip is a calm and lovely way to get a different perspective on New York. And perhaps another reminder, if the Statue of Liberty isn't enough for you, that cities can work together.








No comments:

Post a Comment