Saturday 11 January 2014

Cafe Colette


Cafe Colette is a 1937 British thriller film directed by Paul L. Stein and starring Paul Cavanagh, Greta Nissen and Sally Gray. I have no idea who any of these people are. It was also released under the alternative and particularly alluring title of, Danger in Paris. The intriguing story of a diplomat who falls in love with an exiled Russian princess. Apparently. There's not much more information on this clearly ground-breaking and impressive film, and clearly the name has a certain ring to it. Although Danger in Paris would be an excellent name for a restaurant...

Cafe Colette is also a restaurant in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. I had seen a photo a friend had posted on Instagram and for whatever reason, I decided I had to go there for lunch on the last day of 2013.

I loved the Cafe Colette neighbourhood. Slightly concerning, although perhaps not surprising, Williamsburg is described as an influential hub for indie rock, hipster culture, and the local art community. I don't really think I have a penchant for anything hipster, and yet, there I was, loving the smell of blackened fish and the suburban houses with steps going up to the front doors.
Henry Miller, the novelist, lived in Williamsburg. As did Winona Ryder, Man Ray, Barbara Streisand and Peaches Geldof. 

See now, I knew it'd be a swell destination for a New Year's Eve lunch.

Now, the cafe itself...think French country bistro meets diner, they fall in love and live happily ever after in a rustic atmosphere, producing an eclectic menu and quirky cocktails.

Colette Cocktail: gin, herbes de provence, sparkling rosé

Saint 75: vodka, elderflower liqueur, lemon, prosecco





Tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich




No comments:

Post a Comment