Sunday 8 March 2015

when good bodies go bad

Now I preface the following with saying that I know there are people way way worse off than me and I don't want to elicit sympathy where none is warranted. This is just my experience, as it's unfolding, and while none of it is major stuff, the unfolding and the sum of it gives me pause.

This morning I woke up with a head cold. It's nothing. A tingly, runny nose and a lot of sneezing. I laugh in the face of this head cold.

I actually did laugh when I realised I had it because I do feel a little as though my body is playing some kind of joke. Or it's unhappy with me about something and it just can't use its words.

Because, before the head cold, I had strep throat. Really great, green pus, almost abscessing, strep throat. It was awesome. I tried so hard all last weekend not to swallow. It was like a sport. A painful kind of sport where swallowing is the enemy. I am still on the penicillin. Which apparently has no power over the common cold. Horses for courses. Or something.

Before the strep throat, there was a weird earache scenario. Before that it was tonsillitis. And before that was the fifty shades of shingles which popped up out of nowhere around Christmas time and lasted and lasted.

We take our bodies for granted. And we have no idea what is going on inside them. I have a romantic idea that maybe once we were more attuned to our bodies and had more of an idea what we needed and where to get that from.

I eat pretty healthily. I go to the gym fairly often. I don't smoke. I drink moderately. Well, why be shy, I drink really well and it's something I have mastered. But mostly, I think I treat my body with respect. And yet I'm really not sure what it wants right now and that bothers me.

What's more, in addition to all my other superpowers, I seem to have developed and be emitting the pheromone that attracts wasps. I have never noticed this particular ability before, but the last two weeks, they cannot leave me alone. And it's not just fly-by checking out, it's hovering and trying to land. It's coming into my apartment and refusing to leave, except by force. It's 'following' me all the way from the supermarket to my apartment building just now.

What does my body want from me? I feel like a metaphor I just can't work out.




No comments:

Post a Comment