Tuesday 17 March 2015

same, same. but different

Christchurch is home. Even if I don't live there right now. It will always be home because I grew up there and because I know so many people there who fill me with goldenness.

It is a little uncanny to walk around your home and for it to feel so familiar and yet also so different.

I see progress every time I visit. It is slow progress for the people who deal every day with the rough roads, continuing insurance issues, and a landscape often punctuated by bright orange road cones. 

People have moved away and friendship circles have got smaller in some instances. Favourite buildings have gone. Where once there was a neighbourhood of houses and schools, now there is only parkland. The house I grew up in is no longer there. The high school I went to has been closed since the earthquakes and hasn't yet found a new location of its own, although word is that it's coming.

But Christchurch is home. And I love it.

Ko nga pukemaeroero oku maunga
Ko otakaro toku awa 
Ko otautahi toku whenua 
Ko Brian raua ko Trish oku matua 
Ko Jo toku ingoa











No comments:

Post a Comment