Thursday 29 August 2013

flavour odyssey

Someone once told me never to eat a quantity of food larger than your head.

That golden rule has been broken. Well and truly. But boy was it worth it.

When the prerequisite for being invited to a birthday degustation dinner by chefs from Cumulus and Coda is that you are able to eat anything, there is no point talking about your aversion to egg-shaped fruit. I mean really. What is that about anyway?

I was excited to be one of the chosen four at the dinner won at a charity auction and I knew I would be in for a treat. But I really had no idea of the food journey on which I was about to embark. One of the most impressive things was that all the incredible food came from a smart little food trailer parked out the front of the host's house. Trailer Made food is a new business started up by Casey. Look out for it around Melbourne. She was joined by Thi from Cumulus, Jon from Coda and Kim, formerly of Cumulus. Absolute talent. And the food just kept on coming, one sensational homage to flavour, texture and exquisite pleasure after another.

A post ago I was virtuously proclaiming my desire to connect with the food chain. Tonight, I do believe I ate the whole chain.

the menu

*  *  *
Spicy chickpeas with fried tripe, pig's ear and pork crackling 

Coffin bay oysters with iced tea granita and wasabi

Pan seared scallops with corn purée and popcorn

Latkes with pickled beetroot with and aioli

Quinoa salad with orange dressing, fried artichoke, pomegranate and yoghurt, garnished fried parsley

Sweetbreads with yoghurt, herb and chilli sauce, barramundi skin, pickled apples, coriander

Barramundi fingers coated in dukkah, raguvette (cornichon, capers, seeded mustard) on a bed of cucumber

Chicken lollipops: Israeli couscous, corn purée and sumac

Sticky beef buns with coleslaw and chilli sauce

Textures of chocolate: flourless chocolate, chocolate meringue, housemade aerated chocolate, white chocolate sorbet

Flambéed birthday cake: layered almond sponge, sour cherry jelly, white chocolate mousse, citrus curd smothered in Italian meringue 

*  *  *

the evidence



















No comments:

Post a Comment