Sunday 18 November 2012

お任せ

omakase

It's up to you. I entrust this experience to you.

We like this way of dining. We expect the chef to surprise us with his or her innovation and artistic flair with the food. We like abdicating all responsibility and having the evening unfold before us of its own accord, or at the mercy of the kitchen and waitstaff. We don't want to pore over the menu and wonder if we are ordering too much, too little or missing out on the very thing we should have ordered.

As you wish.

And we increasingly have the possibility of having others run our lives for us, making the decisions, telling us what to do. If you have enough money and are willing to part with it, you can have an omakase lifestyle. Personal shoppers, mortgage brokers, dégustations, even ghostwriters on online dating services...you don't have to live your own life any more if you are too busy or not quite up to all the decisions.

I like omakase. As a dining experience. I like being surprised by food and combinations of flavours which are unfamiliar to me. I appreciate the chef's training and talent and I am more than happy to allow them to shine.

I don't wish to omakase my life. I want to make my own mistakes, as painful as they are. I want to work out my own style, which changes depending on the day. I want to present myself to others as I am, not be promoted to the world or potential suitors in the way that will best sell me. OK, so I'm a little awkward, a little quirky, I don't always get my outfits right, but here I am. Me.



No comments:

Post a Comment