Sunday 21 August 2011

Sunny weekend

Sunny, sunny Melbourne! Train from Footscray to Flinders. Coffee at Degraves.
I wanted to find Metropolis books in Curtin House on Swanston Street. 
Walked too far and had to retrace steps, but in losing, we sometimes find and I found this building. I don't know what it is, but I liked it.

Curtin House is a six storey art nouveau building and home to various venues I'd like to visit one day: The Rooftop Bar, Toff in Town where lots of great bands play, Cookie for great food, a rare record shop and Metropolis, my dream for the day. Metropolis is an arty booklover's paradise. Graphic design, photography, art, popular culture and just plain cool books. The kind of books that smell like real books. The kind of bookshop that makes you scorn the very notion of ipads. A real bookstore. And the stairway up to Metropolis...vertical laneway.
I could have spent a fortune on beautiful French children's books. But not today. The sunshine beckoned and a stroll down Southbank. Southbank with sunglasses and a bench. Perfect people-watching material.
Too sunny for the city. No. 96 tram to St Kilda and a walk along the beach with all the other people marveling at the stunning weather.
Prince of Wales for a beer before tram and train back to Footscray.
Nice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment