Monday 18 May 2015

restarting


The other day I was having problems with my laptop. Foolishly, I did not follow the golden computer problem rule. No, I just rolled my eyes at how annoying technology is and stormed upstairs to see the technicians.

In a very calm voice, Derek asked me whether I had restarted the computer. Um. No. Of course not. That's way too obvious and I'm sure it's not that. Said the one who knows a whole lot of things about French to the one who knows a whole lot of things about computers.

I restarted the computer. The problem was no longer there.

"80% of all problems can be resolved by restarting."

And let me add, Derek said this in a very deadpan non-judgemental voice. For which I was grateful. Because really. I deserved a more condescending tone.

He's right though. It's easy to get caught up in problems, become frustrated and annoyed or avoid that particular aspect (...for me, I thought, it's ok, I just won't print anything. Ever. That's totally practical. Printing is bad for the environment anyway...) of whatever situation we're in. And we complain. It's the dog sitting on the rusty nail scenario. (And for the animal lovers amongst you, no animal was harmed in the writing of this post and I did not make that saying up. I have, however had someone use that phrase against me in pretty much the condescending tone Derek should have adopted.) If it's really that bad, we do something about it. We move off the rusty nail.

I have people I know and love who have restarted. They have said No to the situation they were in and stopped, got off and walked away to recalibrate and I respect them for that. One of these restarts shook things up for a few people, but on the other side, the people that mattered were still there. And things fell into place they way they were always supposed to.

You see people often don't want to be part of the process, but they do want to be part of the outcome. The process is where you figure out who's worth being part of the outcome.

On a very small and quite different scale, I am doing a bit of a restart. Being a food writer, it can sometimes feel as though I am eating and drinking some pretty flash and fancy food a lot of the time. I'm not complaining. I'm very lucky and I love it. But when I saw an Instagram of Karmic Cold Pressed Juice and read about their 2 day cleanse programme, it was as though my body leapt in the air and cried out for it. Far be it from me to shut down what my body needs.

The lovely people at Karmic Juice suggest that I will notice a difference in my skin, my feeling of wellbeing, and my energy levels. I'm hoping for a feeling of goodness at a DNA level. It's a 2 day cleanse. I know. I'm very optimistic. Still. Two days without coffee, fancy food, wine. Two days of antioxidants, raw multi-vitamins and bliss nutrients. It's a pretty good pause, if not really a restart.

So these things I've talked about there are all juxtaposed and not really related. But you know, sometimes when you look in a certain direction and start thinking about a particular idea, everything feels as though to is related and affirms the original idea.

80% of all problems can be resolved by restarting.

Thanks, Derek.



No comments:

Post a Comment