Friday 3 April 2015

catching the egg

Shin's Teppanyaki may well have been the world's fist mobile Teppanyaki restaurant. I'm going to say it was, because I like that idea. And if we go with the line of thought that it's not how it actually happened, but how I remember it, then, sure it was.

Shin started his mobile business when the restaurant he worked in closed after the September 2010 earthquake in Christchurch. Ingenuity and entrepreneurial prowess. He is now running another mobile teppanyaki unit in Auckland. 

It's an impressive way to dine in the comfort of your own home. The huge hotplate is there, the bench, seats, crockery and cutlery are also provided and, in the case of today's lunch, a smiling and very happy chef, Toshi, to provide entertainment and a deftly prepared several course meal. Salad, salmon, vegetables, lamb cutlets, chicken, beef, fried rice and the egg throwing course...and no, I did not manage to catch the piece of egg in my mouth and I certainly did not look in the least bit graceful as I tried. Others at the lunch did, amongst them the lovely bride-to-be, and that's a great skill to bring into a marriage.

Aren't people clever for coming up with these things? 
















No comments:

Post a Comment