Thursday 28 November 2013

the moment



My first photography lesson was also my first date with the man I married. Then later divorced. I learned a lot from Damian. Perspective. Composition. Observing. Waiting. Re-focusing. Capturing the moment. Moving on.

I am not a photographer. And that is what I told The Northsider when offering my services as a volunteer to take a few photos for their stories. But they used my photos regardless. And one even made it to the front cover, albeit with my name spelled wrong. A few made it to the inside as well; an empty section, and a homage to Movember.

I like taking photos. I like noticing and seeing and grabbing that moment in time. I like contrasts in colour and texture. I like the story behind the image. Whether I have made it up or not.

And I love that Melbourne, once again, has allowed me to embrace and investigate and contribute and belong.

A great photograph is one that fully expresses what one feels, in the deepest sense, about what is being photographed.
Ansel Adams

An interview with Christchurch photographer, Kirk Hargreaves, from my radio days...Actually, my very first interview...


http://bignoisefromalytteltown.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/kirk-12.mp3

The Phoenix Foundation, Sally
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCW4t8wOb2s

No comments:

Post a Comment